YOUR POWER WORD – And why it matters
What is a Power Word and Why does it matter? http://theperfectbackdrop.com/index.php/power-word-experience/ Click To Tweet
A power word is actually a whole concept you choose as a motto to guide you and motivate you through a period of time.
It needs to be specific though comprising a big and powerful meaning.
I am sure many of you have already used power words in previous years, if this is the case, you are familiar with the process, however, having a word is only half the process.
First of all, the reason why this system works so well is founded in the perception we have of a word or concept and on the associations we give it.
It is therefore objective on the one hand but very strongly subjective on the other.
Let me explain: the meaning a word has in the dictionary is the objective aspect of it its definition. The added meaning we have of that word comes from our exposure to that word, our experiences and feelings towards it; as you can see, this is the subjective aspect of a word.
Hence the importance of choosing a word that speaks to you, it might not be the mainstream meaning, but it is the one that comprises the most complete sense and value to you.
Let´s take the word “INSPIRE”, which was my word for 2016 , for instance.
This is its definition:
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
1. to exert a stimulating or beneficial effect upon (a person); animate or invigorate
2. (tr; followed by with or to; may take an infinitive) to arouse (with a particular emotion or to a particular action); stir
3. (transitive) to prompt or instigate; give rise to
4. (tr; often passive) to guide or arouse by divine influence or inspiration
5. to take or draw (air, gas, etc) into the lungs; inhale
6. (transitive) ARCHAIC to breathe into or upon
Etymology: 14th Century (in the sense: to breathe upon, blow into): from Latin inspīrāre, from spīrāre to breathe
And although that could be good enough of a concept, right? To me it embodies all these additional meanings:
– To be able to awaken an interest of some kind in a person, that it will change the course of their life.
– To encourage in such a way, it is impossible not to follow through (with any given project or course, in particular).
– To open up a new world of possibilities for someone.
– To make an impactful change in the world and the life of a person or persons.
– To infuse a passion for something.
– To teach from the heart, supported by mind (in my role as a teacher).
I could actually go on quite a bit, but I think you get the idea!
Now, how do you choose a power word?
Ok, so here it is!
As a former linguist, I have always been fascinated by the power of language and its psychological aspects. (Yes, that is a fact not all of you know, but I was a teacher and translator with my own school for a few years).
After working with my wonderful (off line) clients on their Power words for a couple of years now and seeing how absolutely motivational and powerful they are, I now want to offer you a chance to work hand in hand to create Your word and its physical representation to be able to get the FULL POWER of YOUR WORD.
First , I would recommend you read my latest article on Thrive Global : https://journal.thriveglobal.com/your-power-word-db74922fd3…
That way you can see if this is something that could interest you.
After reading it, you will understand that just having a word is only half of the process.
We are VISUAL BEINGS, so the way our brain works best is by VISUAL STIMULUS.
In order for the Power Word to really become your focal goal it has to take the shape of an image.